2007年12月5日 星期三

A6310 Section B 黃伊婷 Speech Plan No. 2

A6310 Section B 黃伊婷 Speech Plan No. 2

 

Topic: The Development of the Café

 

Adaptation Plan

Speaking directly to the audience

First I will show some common café logos to get my audience involved in what I am going to say.  Then I will deliver some interesting information to my audience from time to time to rouse their interest in the café.

Building credibility

I will use some quotations, statistics, simple stories, and documented sources to show my audience that I do have the credibility to elaborate the development of the café.

Getting and maintaining interest

In order to maintain my audience's interest, I will tell three real but simple stories, separately put at the beginning, in the middle, and in the end of my speech, and take the development of the coffee chains in Taiwan for instance to make my speech much closer to the audience's daily life.

Facilitating understanding

I will develop my speech in a temporal line and use transitions and visual aids, such as geographical maps, some historical stories, and pictures to make my speech easily understood.

Increasing retention

Still, I will use visual aids, statistics, and stories to help my audience retain what I have said.

 

Speech Outline

Specific speech goal

I would like my audience to know the development of the café from the 15th century to nowadays.

Introduction

I. You guys must have seen the following café logos on the streets in Taiwan. (Then I will show pictures on ppt.)

II. But you may not believe that someone had ever died in the café just because he loved the café very much.  He stayed in the café almost every day.  That person is Peter Altenberg, a Austrian café writer in nineteenth century, who is also the person who said a famous saying, "When I am not at home, I must be in the café; but when I am not in the café, then I must be on the way to the café."

III. So what is the magic in the café which made a person in the nineteenth century willing to die in there and how has it developed until now so that even in our 21st century the café is still everywhere?

(Let us just begin from the fifteenth century when the coffee beans were found in the Muslim world; then I will show you how the café has developed till now.)

Thesis statement

The development of the café can be traced back to the fifteenth century when the coffee beans were found in the Muslim world, and the café culture was then slowly spread into the Europe and finally into the whole world.

Body

I. The coffee beans were first used in the Muslim world in the fifteenth century.

A. The coffee at that time was used for the religious purpose because Muslims needed to keep awake when praying to Allah at night.

B. In order to sell and buy coffee, the café accordingly appeared in the Muslim world.

(Later because of the business trade with other countries, the café culture was also spread into the Europe.)

II. The café culture was spread into the Europe in the seventeenth century.

A. Take England for instance: The first café in England appeared in 1652.

B. The café soon became a hit at that time because the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries were the so-called Age of Reason (the Enlightenment).

C. The influences of the café at that time:

      1. The café equaled everything.

2. The café was "a penny college."

3. The café was the bed of knowledge. (E.g. Newton's law of gravitation)

(Later because of the colonization and globalization, the café culture was finally introduced to the whole world.  But nowadays, it is the coffee chain business that controls the café industry, and the function of the café also changed, not for knowledge anymore.)

III. The coffee chain business becomes the most powerful in the café industry.

   A. Take the development of coffee chains in Taiwan for instance.

          1. The first Italian coffee chain, the Barista, appeared in 1997.

          2. Then the Starbucks appeared in 1998.

          3. Recently the 85 Celsius Degrees appeared in 2003.

B. The statistics of the café market in Taiwan from 1997 to 2004.

(Even in Taiwan the number of the coffee chains had increased violently within just eight years; not to mention what has happened in the café industry in America and England.  There must be thousands of cafés everywhere.)

Conclusion

Then interestingly, this situation might well explain the seven best-selling volumes of Harry Potter, because what the author, J. K. Rowling, had to do was just to buy a cup of coffee, sat in this kind of coffee chain for a whole day, and wrote all the time.

 

Sources

English

"Richard Engländer alias Peter Altenberg 1859 – 1919."  Kunst und Kultur in Wien.  20 Nov 2007.  <http://www.viennatouristguide.at/personen/Altenberg/ab.htm#

Café%20Central>.

The Owl Journal.  Ed. Jonny Thakkar.  Oxford U.  2003.  20 Nov 2007.       <http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:UZeQrJHJVvUJ:www.theowljournal.com/archive/TheOwl02.pdf+%22news+from+the+coffee-house%22+thomas+jordan&hl=zh-TW&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=tw >.

中文

〈咖啡連鎖店之產業分析〉。世新大學。20071120日。<http://cc.shu.edu.tw/~clchen/courses/IO/coffee.doc>

范婷。《臺灣咖啡消費文化的歷史分析》。 台北:輔仁大學大眾傳播學研究所,2001年。

湯姆斯丹迪奇 (Thomas Standage)。〈理性時代的咖啡〉。《歷史六瓶裝:啤酒、葡萄酒、烈酒、咖啡、茶與可口可樂的文明史》。吳平等譯。台北:聯經,2006年。頁125-67



5 GB 超大容量 、創新便捷、安全防護垃圾郵件和病毒 — 立即升級 Windows Live Hotmail 

沒有留言: