2008年1月2日 星期三

A6310 Section A 49382045 章� Speech Plan No. 3

Persuasive Speech Plan

Speech title: Smoking, just like heaven? Or hell?

Name: Wendy

Specific speech goal:

I want to convince my audience that smoking can do nothing but hurt their health.

Besides, I hope they can stop others from smoking after they listen to my speech.

Proposition: Proposition of fact

Audience adaptation

Audience attitude:

People all know that smoking is harmful. However, lots of people still smoke. Some may think that little smoking will not cause any negative effect. Some may take smoking as a "stress releaser" or a sign of maturity. Still a great number of people admit that smoking is unwelcome, but do not know that smoking is indeed deadly. People around twenty years old like us would easily fall into this kind of myth. They may think that a little bit smoking will not lead to any damage to their health, what is more, in their opinions, think also feel that they can easily get rid of cigarettes when they are get tired with them.

 

Reasons:

I firmly believe that the three key points I am going to raise are convincible―the reason why it is hard for people to quit smoking, the two most serious diseases with high possibility of leading to death, and persuading people not to smoke is a matter not only raised in local organization but also brought up by the government. After hearing these, my audience would perceive that they also have to take actions―stop smoking and stop others from smoking.

Creating and maintaining interest:

I will use some authentic pictures of heart disease and lung cancer, providing some examples to my audience. Also, I will use some rhetorical questions to raise my audience's interest.

Selecting an organization to meet audience needs:

Given that the majority of my audience seemed unsure about the consequences, I decided to use logos, pathos and ethos as my persuasion sequence to support my arguments. In my speech, I will cite several statistical numbers to prove smoking do result in negative effects on our health. (logos) And then I will introduce two diseases, appealing to them keeping away from smoking. (pathos) By the end of my speech, I will provide my own experience of going through my grandfather's cancer. (ethos)

Organizational patterns―Statement of Reasons Pattern

 

Speech outline

Introduction:

I hope no one smokes here, if you do, today will be the best day to quit it.

This topic may be a cliché, but I think it will just be too good to raise this again and again.

Cigarette has been an accepted poison in Taiwan.

Thesis statement:

I will introduce the most harmful ingredient in cigarette first, then point out the two most serious diseases resulted from smoking, and at last I will talk about the actions that our government has done to exhort public not to smoke.

Body:

According to the survey, there are four thousand chemicals in cigarette. However, it is generally assumed that the major motivational factor behind smoking is the nicotine it contains.

   A. Nicotine is addictive, that's why it is so hard for smokers to quit smoking.

   B. A person who inhales 60 to 70 milligrams of nicotine at one time would die.

   C. Inhaling nicotine consistently could damage your brain, blood vessel and your heart.

 

There are tons of diseases resulted from smoking, I will just talk about the two most serious ones

A. Since heart is the one keeping people alive, let's see how smoking does harm to it.

       1. Smoking also increases the chance of heart disease

    B. Smoking can also lead to lung cancer.

      1. Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer-related death.

2. 87% lung cancer can be attributed to smoking.

      3. There are some symptoms that suggest lung cancer.

Since smoking is so pernicious, our government has taken some actions on

persuading public not to smoke.

A. The government has printed some warning sentences and pictures on the packages of cigarette.

B. the government has passed the law bans people to smoke in public area.

Conclusion:

In Al Gore's film, he provides his sister as an example of smoking.

Second-hand Smoking can lead heart disease and lung cancer.

An example of my grandfather's smoking experience.

Smoking does nothing but makes one suffer.

External sources:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_tobacco_smoking

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung_cancer#Signs_and_symptoms

4. http://blog.no-tobacco.chshb.gov.tw/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId

=451&blogId=50

5. http://www.yck2.edu.hk/nosmoke/harm.htm

沒有留言: