2007年11月20日 星期二

Speech Outline of Informative Speech

Speech Plan

A Simple Look for Orthodontics

49482024        蔡佳珊

 

Adaptation Plan

1.      Speaking directly to members of the audience: I will talk to the audience throughout the speech, and I will use personal pronouns.

2.      Building credibility: At the beginning, I will show them the dental braces in my mouth. Then I will tell them my experiences as an orthodontics patient.

3.      Getting and maintaining interest: I will start this speech with a joke about the orthodontics' function for improving the aesthetics of smiles and faces. And I will take my own experience for instance to raise their interests.

4.      Facilitating understanding: To achieve the goal, I will use PPT to show the audience my notes and some pictures. If some dental terms are too specific for my classmate to understand, I will translation into Chinese.

5.      Increasing retention: Using visual aids is enough. Although I would like to let my audience know what do braces like, it is impressible for me to unbond the braces in my mouth.

 

Speech Outline

Specific Speech Goal: I want my audience know something about dental braces.

 

Introduction

I.                    As you see, I have dental braces on my teeth.

II.                 My braces have accompanied with me since I was a freshman, and as a user of this device, I think I can tell you some basic knowledge about it.

III.               Today, I want to tell you about the work procedure of dental braces.

 

Thesis statement: There are three stages for people undergoing the process of correcting teeth problem. The first stage is a full examination about the patient's teeth. The second stage is to have teeth braced. And the third stage is to avoid the teeth moving back to their original positions, which called "post-treatment."

 

Body

I.                    The first stage is a full examination.

A.     A full examination involves looking at the patient's teeth.

1.      Taking X-rays.

2.      Making plaster models of the patient's teeth.

B.     If the estimation is positive, the treatment will begin as soon as the patient has enough permanent teeth.

II.                 The second stage is to have teeth braced.

A.     Using an etchant applied to help the cement bond to the surface of the teeth.

1.      A bracket will be applied with dental cement.

2.      If necessary, some permanent teeth must be taken to make space.

3.      Take myself for example, eight teeth, including wisdom teeth, were removed from my mouth.

B.     Then is the archwire. This stainless steel thread will "push" the teeth in a particular direction and force them to align.

C.     At the beginning, the patient might feel uncomfortable about the device in his or her mouth.

1.      Because the patient feel pressure in the teeth as the underlying bone moves.

2.      The patient has better eat soft or liquid food.

3.      If needed, s/he would take mild pain relievers like aspirin.

D.     In the following years, the patient must return to see the doctor regularly.

1.      Take myself for example again; I have to see the doctor and let him adjust the archwires once a month.

III.               The third stage is "post-treatment."

A.     In this stage, the main goal is to avoid the teeth moving back to their original position.

B.     Therefore, the patient will use retainers.

1.      The retainers are devices that help maintain the teeth alignment that was achieved by braces.

2.      The retainer is worn until the wisdom teeth have been extracted, because the eruptions of wisdom teeth will disrupt the alignment achieved by braces.

 

Conclusion

Now my speech is near the end, and I hope I can do better than my first speech. Honestly speaking, I'm not very confident of the third stage, because I'm just in the second stage. Anyway, I've tried my best, and I must appreciate Dr. Lin. He is the doctor who is in charge of my teeth correcting, and spend whole Sunday afternoon for me to prepare for this speech.

 

Resources

Wikipedia-Dental braces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_braces

MedicineNet.com

http://www.medicinenet.com/dental_braces/article.htm

 

British Dental Health Foundation

http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/leafletdetail.php?LeafletID=29

 

沒有留言: